19 February 2008

Wine: Symbol of Justice, Wisdom, and Charity

In my class on the Gospel of John we are studying the narrative of Jesus' first miracle, at Cana in Galilee (John 2:1-11). In my reading today I found St. Thomas's commentary on the words of our Lady, "they have no more wine," to be particularly delightful. He writes:

Here we should note that before the incarnation of Christ three wines were running out: the wine of justice, of wisdom, and of charity or grace. Wine stings, and in this respect it is a symbol of justice. The Samaritan poured wine and oil into the wounds of the injured man, that is, he mingled the severity of justice with the sweetness of mercy. "You have made us drink the wine of sorrow" (Ps. 59:5).

But wine also delights the heart, "Wine cheers the heart of man" (Ps. 103:15). And in this respect wine is a symbol of wisdom, the meditation of which is enjoyable in the highest degree: "Her companionship has no bitterness" (Wis. 8:16).

Further, wine intoxicates: "Drink, friends, and be intoxicated, my dearly beloved" (Cant. 5:1). And in this respect wine is a symbol of charity: "I have drunk my wine with my milk" (Cant. 5:1). It is also a symbol of charity because of charity's fervor: "Wine makes the virgins flourish" (Zec. 9:17).

No comments: