22 February 2008

The Chair of St. Peter

The Feast of St. Peter's Chair in Antioch, formerly on this day, has been merged with that of his Chair in Rome, formerly on January 18. The Feast of St. Peter's Chair is now kept on February 22.

This afternoon we finally went, as we've been meaning to for some time, to climb the Kalvarienberg (Calvary Mountain) which is right across the road from the Kartause. The path up the mountainside is a way of the Cross. There is a little shrine for each station and a larger chapel on the top of the mountain for the 12th station (Christ's death on the Cross). The path was steep and rigorous at points, but it was quite beautiful. Here follow a few pictures, but you can see more here: Kalvarienberg. This new album will also be linked on the sidebar.

The sun was shining nicely today.

Spring is coming!

On our way down the mountain we followed a different path and came upon another shrine with a Nativity scene - part of another path that takes you through the mysteries of the Rosary. There is yet another that follows the seven sorrows of Mary. It's nice to live in a country with a long and glorious history of Catholicism.

Maria was quite delighted by the flowers that covered large portions of the mountainside.

Finally, we found a place from which a good picture of the Kartause was obtainable, without the crane that uglifies our beautiful school.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valderi, Valdera,
Valderi,
Valdera-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha
Valderi, Valdera.
My knapsack on my back!

Can hardly wait to come visit!

Boniface said...

John-

I'm so glad you finally made it up that thing...I think I went on it two or three times, my wife never went, though. I remember kneeling on those uncomfortable rocks as I prayed the Stations...real penance. When you get up towards the top, the fall is kind of steep...I kept getting distracted from my spiritual prayer because I would get amused kicking stones down the side.