03 September 2007

St. Pius X, Pope, Confessor

Joseph Sarto was born at Riese in Venetia on June 2, 1835. He was successively curate, parish priest, bishop of Mantua, patriarch of Venice. He was elected Pope on August 4, 1903. As chief pastor of the Church he realized to the full the value of the liturgy as the prayer of the Church and spared no effort to propagate the practice of frequent and daily Communion. In his encyclical Pascendi Dominici Gregis, he exposed and condemned the modernist heresy with force and clarity (1907). He died on August 20, 1914, and was canonized on May 29, 1954.

In local news, today was laundry day. Things are a little different here, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.



And, hat tip to Mary and Christina who ventured into the Germanies before us, I refreshed myself at lunch today with a Radler. Yes, that is a picture of lemons on the bottle. It says (in German), With Natural Lemonade! Quite delicious. I bought this on a whim because I could not locate the Stambrau that has been so highly recommended to me. But no worries, the search begins anew tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

John,

I'll take your word for it; I'm still not ready to believe that lemonade + beer is a good idea.

The Austrians appear to be way ahead of us in designing energy-efficient clothes dryers. Please don't tell Al Gore!

Unknown said...

Big Daddy (Cecil Fielder?),

Don't worry about me telling Al, we're not really on speaking terms anymore after I left my hummer running with the keys locked in it at his place.

The Radler is crazy I know. But don't think of it as diluting beer with lemonade - that would be stupid. But think of it as improving lemonade by adding beer.

Say it's a hot day, you're tired and thirsty and you just want to sit in the sun with a lemonade... Well it's even better mixed with beer.

Anonymous said...

You have a fine career ahead of you as a theologian! Just be careful you don't end up with the Jesuits.

If I just wanted to sit in the sun with a lemonade, and I had beer, I'd drink the beer instead.

The Germans drink it warm, though, don't they?

Unknown said...

Gratefully, I don't think the Jesuits have yet stooped so far as to accept married man into their order, so I think I'm in the clear.

I can certainly see your point regarding the lemonade. Touche.

And they do drink beer warm here. It's the strangest thing.