23 November 2008

Last Sunday after Pentecost

St. Clement I, Pope, Martyr (III Class)
St. Clement I was a companion and a disciple of Ss. Peter and Paul, and the third successor of St. Peter. He was exiled by the Emperor Trajan and cast into the sea in 100.

In the Novus Ordo calendar today is the Feast of Christ the King. We actually celebrated this great feast day already some time ago, when we were in Lourdes as a matter of fact. The feast was originally ordered for the Last Sunday of October. The Encyclical Letter Quas Primas (1925), of Pope Pius XI, by which he instituted the feast day, is a great read and not very long.

Update
: there is a plenary indulgence available today in connection with this Feast. The indulgenced work is the pious, public recitation of the Act of Consecration of the Human Race to the Sacred Heart of Jesus composed by His Holiness, Pope Leo XIII. All of the usual conditions, of course, must also be met: (1) Communion, (2) Confession, (3) Prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father, (4) freedom from attachment to all sin, even venial.

My never-ending quest for a good German grammar book may have come to an end. I just ordered this book at the recommendation of one of my classmates here, and I have high hopes, but we'll have to wait and see what it is like when it arrives. Many thanks, by the way, to my generous parents in-law for the Amazon gift card which fueled the purchase. The title is: German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German by April Wilson.

1 comment:

Mark K. Spencer said...

John,

This is a good book; I am just finishing up a German reading course in which we used this book. It is very understandable, often humorous, and has quotations from Nietzsche--can't beat that!

I have posted my reply regarding the Atonement in the relevant comment box.

Happy Thanksgiving!