08 December 2009

Feast of the Immaculate Conception

Of the Blessed Virgin Mary

I will rejoice greatly in the Lord, and my soul shall be joyful in my God: for He hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, and with the robe of justice He hath covered me, as a bride adorned with her jewels.

First of all, let me wish a blessed patronal feast day to the U.S.A. My idea a few weeks ago was to have a big American celebration: hamburgers, spicy chicken wings, watery beer, etc. But I forgot, and today the stores are all closed, so we'll eat whatever we have in the fridge. Maybe next year.

Katie and I took Maria to Eisenstadt for Mass this morning (Lisa stayed closer to home with Thomas, who has a fever). Eisenstadt is the city where Joseph Haydn lived and worked for most of his life. Mass heard his Harmoniemesse at the Haydnkirche, pictured below.

It was a bit rainy out, but that didn't stop us from having lunch under some umbrellas at the local Adventmarkt after Mass. Below is Schloss Esterhazy, (former?) residence of the noble Hungarian family of that name, whose court musician Haydn was.


Upon returning home in the early afternoon, Maria helped Katie and I pick out a good Advent Tree for our living room, and we decorated it with purple ornaments.


No comments: