19 October 2007

Becherovka

Today I made our regular shopping trip to the cheaper grocery stores in Scheibbs. However, one of the women I was in the car with wanted to go to another town as well, where there was a small outlet mall. One of the stores in this mall was a Euro Spar, which is a lot like the Spar that we live over, only more of a supermarket than a tiny town grocery store. I wasn't planning on buying anything (unless I came across American ingredients that I haven't been able to find over here, such as Vanilla extract and baking soda.) However, I decided to check, hoping against hop, to see if they had any Becherovka, John's absolute favorite liquor (I like it too). We haven't been able to find it anywhere, we even looked for it in Vienna. We were afraid we were going to have to make a trip to the Czech Republic just for that. However, surprisingly I did find some, and I made John's day when I returned home with it. Even as I write this we are enjoying our favorite drink of Becherovka, tonic and lemon. John decided he had done enough penance eating the lentils I made for supper, and we could celebrate a little!

8 comments:

Boniface said...

Ha! I remember wanting Vanilla Extract to make French Toast with. Lisa, here's what you have to do: buy vanilla sticks from the Spar, then throw them in a pot of boiling water (only fill the pot about an inch). You have to stand there and watch it boil down; when about half the water boils down (so there is only a half inch or less left), water will have turned a brownish color. That is your homemade vanilla extract. DON'T LEAVE THE POT AND GO AWAY, or else you'll come back, find the water all boiled away and the vanilla sticks burnt to the bottom of the pot.

Anna said...

John, what's wrong with lentils? I find them a wonderful vegetarian option, and legumes have so many nutritional advantages.

Anonymous said...

Lentil Soup is awesome

It should be a major food group!!

Anonymous said...

That would be Irish coffee - the complete food with all four major food groups: fat, sugar, caffeine and alcohol.

Lisa said...

Boniface,
When you say "vanilla sticks," do you mean vanilla beans? Because actually I did think if I could get some of those, I could make vanilla by soaking them in vodka (thanks Branwen). But I haven't seen any, maybe I haven't looked in the right place. Or do you mean something else entirely?

Boniface said...

Lisa-

I think they sell vaniaal beans there, but my wife and I bought vaniaal sticks...they were in this paper package and looked like long sticks in incense.

God bless,
Boniface

Anonymous said...

So, you'll be bringing some of this stuff back with you, right?

Unknown said...

To be sure. As much as customs will allow. This and Milka chocolate bars.