03 November 2007

Nihil novum sub sole

Maria is crazy...
I took a nap...
Lisa has chapped lips...
St. Augustine says that we'll be able to eat food in Heaven if we want to (Deo gratias!)...
Our crazy landlord turned off the heat to save himself money...

Update: Well here is something new (new to me that is).

In my reading of the Second Vatican Council's Decree on Ecumenism, Unitatis Redintegratio, I have more than once remarked as particularly important for a Catholic understanding of ecumensim the following warning:

Nothing is more alien to ecumenism than this false irenicism, through which the purity of Catholic doctrine is jeopardized and its true and indubitable meaning obscured. (UR, 2, 11).

As I mentioned, I noted this as an important warning. But I was not able to appreciate its import due to my ignorance of the meaning of the term "irenicism". Tonight, however, I came across an explanation of irenicism in my reading that greatly illuminates the meaning of this term and thereby makes clear the danger against which Catholic ecumenism must especially be on its gaurd. I offer it here because I know that many of my friends and family share with us an interest in the Catholic Church's teaching on ecumenism. I hope that you find it as enlightening as I did:

False irenicism is motivated by a misconceived charity at the service of a meaningless unity. It places unity above truth. Having severed the essential link between charity and defense of the truth, irenicism is more concerned with reaching a unity with all men than with leading them to Christ and His eternal truth. It ignores the fact that real unity can be reached only in truth. Our Lord's prayer "that they may be one" implies being one in Him and must not be separated from His words in John: "And other sheep I have that are not of this fold. Them also I must bring and they shall hear my voice. And there shall be one fold and one shepherd" (Dietrich von Hildebrand, Trojan Horse in the City of God: The Catholic Crisis Explained, p. 91).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that St Augustine points this out, because my understanding is that heaven is an Irish party with Italian food!(Nana is up there cooking even as we speak!)
Thanks for the excerpt on ecumenism. Very helpful and food for thought.
The Salzburg pictures are awesome!

Unknown said...

Lasagne, meatballs, and Guiness? The city is even more awesome than the pictures! It is really beautiful there.

Anna said...

I have chapped lips too.

Anonymous said...

Of course, von Hildebrand is absolutely correct - if we aren't one in the Truth, then what's the point? Nothing is served by failing to speak the Truth to each other (including the truth that, to the extent that we share in the life of Christ, we are brothers in Him). . .

Naps are good (and better, the more kids you have). . .