26 June 2009

The End of the Kartuase Era

Today we passed our final inspection. Architect Hildebrand and his wife checked every room of the Kartause, emptyed and cleaned over the past six weeks by yours truly et al., and were quite impressed. It remains for us only to clear out a few last items into the big moving containers tomorrow, and then we say good-bye to the beautiful historic Kartause.

Actually, though, we'll see plenty of it until the very end of September, because we still have our flat above the Spar. We'll spend the next week here, and then when Lisa and the kids depart for Michigan I'll stay here here in Gaming in seclusion and try to learn some German, maybe study for the GRE, and write a Masters thesis. Two weeks should be about enough, right? On the 15th of July apartments supposedly become available for us in Trumau and I'll try to move some things in to prepare for the return of the family and the arrival of Peter and Sara on the 17th.

4 comments:

Katie said...

aww, say goodbye for me. and good luck with all that thesis writing, etc.

Somebody Calls Me Nana said...

I bet you will miss that sweet family of yours! Thanks for sharing them with us. I don't see why 2 weeks would not be enough time to accomplish those few little things that you mentioned. After all, once Peter and Sara get there, you will be drinking too much beer to get anything done!
Looking forward to July 3rd! 1-2-3 Mom/Nana

Anonymous said...

Hi John,

My name is Travis Rankin. Sebastian H. at the ITI sent me your blog site address and I wanted to introduce myself. I studied for a semester in Gaming a few years ago and absolutely loved it.

If all goes well, I hope to bring my family back to Austria to begin the STM programme in Trumau (we are now trying to work out the finances). I thought it would be nice to touch base with you to get your thoughts on the programme, the move to Trumau, etc.. When you have time, feel free to give me an email.

travis.rankin@avemaria.edu

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Travis

Fred and Sharon said...

I Googled Trumau, and found your blog listed sixth, of 153,000. Ahead of you were Wickipedia and a city guide, each of which were nearly empty, and invited entries. The first site listed was in German, and was interesting, despite my limited knowledge of the lanuage. I could make out directions such as "klick hier."

It looks like a main attraction of Trumau would be its proximity to Wien, although the village looked charming. Do farmers there live in the village and commute to their fields?