31 August 2007

St. Raymond Nonnatus, Confessor

With SS. Peter Nolasco and Raymond of Penafort, the Founders of the Order of Our Lady of Mercy, St. Raymond Nonnatus is the glory of his Congregation. He gave himself up to the Mohammedans in order to ransom a Christian. The Pope Gregory IX created him cardinal: he died on his return in 1240.

Well the sun is finally back out today, although it's still a little chilly. Here are a couple of pictures of the park that lies between the Kartause and our flat. It makes for a nice walk every day.


3 comments:

Boniface said...

Hey, keep an eye out for my 2 euro coin when you are in that park! Sometime around September 2003 I was walking through that park on my way to Spar to buy a Coke and I dropped my 2 euro coin in the park (then covered by leaves). I looked everywhere but could not find it. Keep an eye out for it.

Did you find the chapel above the adoration room? Also, in this picture by the park, did you take that little path up towards town (not towards the Turkish wall, but the other way) and see that little private shrine up there? It is in the extreme northwest corner of the park up in the trees.

Unknown said...

Boniface,

Always good to hear from you. I actually thought about your coin while walking through the park, but I didn't actually look for it. I'll keep an eye out though, and if I find it I'll buy a coke for myself :)

I did find the chapel, thank you. It's a very peaceful place to pray. And I didn't know about the little shrine, I'll head that way today as I head back home.

Pax!

Boniface said...

Listen, if you go on the main road, down towards the soccer field (I assume you know where that is by now?), there is a small foot bridge that crosses the river...cross it and follow the path and you will come upon some stations of the cross shrines...if you follow the path all the way up the mountain, there is an enormous shrine with a lifesize statue of the crucifixion. It's really worth the walk.